Taking care of our pearly whites is a top priority. The truth is, it takes small, inexpensive ways to keep our teeth in great shape. ... Full Article
Must-Have Foods For Top Athletic Performance
Source: Open Talk Magazine 15/02/2011 23:55:00
Athletes are very different from normal everyday individuals! Are they? What makes them different from most others? Athletes train their bodies to with-stand heavy loads of physical activity and use extensive amounts of energy over "everyday" human beings. They run for miles, train for hours and push their bodies to complete exhaustion on a daily basis. In order for athletes to maintain optimal energy levels, they must consume foods that sustain them and keep them ignited for hours at a time.
There are several foods athletes should consume to ensure peak performance. These include:
- Whole grains: These are very necessary to provide adequate energy for sporting events. Cereal, pasta, bagels and whole wheat breads are some of the best whole grain foods athletes can consume. Whole grain carbohydrates are make up a very important food group. All athletes should practice "carb-loading" of whole grains at least one hour before all events.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: These are very essential for an athlete’s body. Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with vital minerals and vitamins to maintain proper body function. Raw foods are exceptional in that they are fat free and supply energy to the body which is vital for long exercise sessions. Certain foods such as bananas are packed with potassium, a mineral that regulates water levels in the body. It also stabilizes contraction of muscles. Low levels of potassium can result in fatigue and muscle cramps, therefore, consumption of potassium rich foods is extremely important for athletes. Intake about 435 milligrams of potassium after each workout to speed up recovery.
- Yogurt: This super rich source of calcium promotes healthy bones and minimizes the risk of osteoporosis. Calcium plays a crucial role in muscle metabolism. Adding yogurt to an athlete’s diet prevents fatigue.
- Salmon: This is known to be a fabulous source of high-quality protein, Omega-3, Omega-6 and Vitamin B12; all of which are vital for a strong body.
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter is known to be a fabulous source of essential fats and protein. It's very light and easy to carry around.
- Lentil soup: Lentils are known to produce a low glycemic response which means athletes will not experience a rise in blood sugar which usually results in fatigue.
- Almond butter: This is a super powerful source of nutrition and consists of high amounts of fiber, Calcium, Protein, Folic acid, magnesium, Potassium and vitamin E.
Low energy is sinful for athletes and is something athletes cannot afford. Their bodies are high performance biological machines that require high performance fuel to work. Fill it with bad fuel and the machine will break down. Therefore, in order to ensure optimal athletic performance, it is important for athletes to focus on healthy eating habits.