Today we know Green Tea has twice the health benefits of Red Wine and plays a large role in protecting the heart. ... Full Article
How To Tell If Your Child Is A Genius
Source: Open Talk Magazine 11/12/2010 01:05:00
Have you been told that your kid seems different from other children the same age? How can you tell if your little one is a budding prodigy? Here’s how to read the signs-
How does one define a prodigy? A child prodigy refers to a young person who can master one or more skills, usually shown by adults, at a very young age. We determine the level or extent of a child’s gift in relation to the age group that they belong to. These days, parents aren’t just satisfied with their child growing at a normal pace.
In fact, they love to brag about every little achievement of their children’s and believe that every little effort and investment made, will have lasting rewards. Not surprising then that many families believe in educational CDs like Baby Einstein or Brainy Baby and even make their kids watch such videos for a few hours every day. The truth however is; children have an open mind which absorbs different things that they see, hear, learn and experience. Here’s how to tell if your little one really is different from other children and is a budding genius-
- It has been found that little geniuses sleep lesser than other children. They are often unusually alert and display other signs such as talking early or have a huge vocabulary at a very small age.
- Such children develop different milestones at a very fast pace. In fact many of them have a long attention span which is highly unusual for a child, and may even have faster motor skill development.
- Many child prodigies have a gift for remembering even the most remote things and usually astound their parents by displaying far superior memory prowess than the parents themselves.
- Child prodigies have been found to progress at a pace that is far ahead than other children of the same age. If you have noticed that your child has a knack for solving problems, is highly curious by nature, a colorful imagination and an unusually fast speed for learning; these are signs that your little one stands out from the rest.
- A person who gets an IQ score of 140 is considered a genius. If you want to test your child’s IQ level, it’s best to allow him or her take a test on their own or visit a child specialist who can help you identify your child’s strengths. The Stanford-Binet IQ test can be given to children that are just three years of age.
- Such children prefer more difficult or challenging games to play. No crossword or jigsaw puzzle is too hard for them to handle. They may even prefer to play such games which challenge their thinking and creativity as opposed to other easier games that children of the same age often prefer.
- You may find your super-smart kid gets bored easily or finds that other children of the same age are boring. It’s important to understand why your child feels this way. Most children are happy being around familiar people and surroundings but these little prodigies love to learn new things all the time. You may find that your child is able to solve complicated math problems, learn languages or even a music instrument at a very fast pace.
If your little one fulfils one or more of the above criteria, then you can be sure you have a little genius on your hands. While it’s something to be proud of, remember that such gifted children need to be brought up and mentally stimulated the right way. It’s important to understand the strengths and limitations of your child without exceedingly imposing or pushing him or her to do better all the time. Such kids need as much love, patience and care as any other child.